By Adesakin Adefemi
Minister-designate for Power, Joseph Olasunkanmi Tegbe, has refuted reports that he promised to fix Nigeria’s power grid within three months, describing the claims as a misrepresentation of his Senate screening remarks.
Through his spokesperson, Adeola Adelabu, Tegbe said he never made such a commitment during his appearance before the Senate on May 6, 2026. The aide stated that the reports circulating in the media were inaccurate and did not reflect the minister-designate’s actual statements.
According to the statement, Tegbe only explained that timelines for power sector reforms were still being developed and would depend on diagnostics and consultations with stakeholders. He stressed that no specific deadline for a full grid overhaul had been given.
The statement clarified that Tegbe assured senators that initial efforts to stabilise the national grid would commence within his first 100 days in office, while broader structural reforms could take about one year to materialise. He said the focus would be on restoring credibility to the sector.
Tegbe outlined plans to address persistent challenges in the electricity industry, including gas supply constraints, metering gaps, and infrastructure deficits. He said the reforms would also target commercial frameworks and accountability across the power value chain.
“My promise to this chamber is that Nigerians will see visible improvement in the sector,” Tegbe was quoted as saying during the screening. He pledged to modernise electricity infrastructure and enforce measures that would improve service delivery.
On tariffs, the minister-designate reportedly assured lawmakers that reforms would be designed to protect vulnerable consumers while maintaining sustainability and investor confidence in the sector. He stressed the need for balance between affordability and sector viability.
President Bola Tinubu nominated Tegbe as Minister of Power following the exit of Adebayo Adelabu during the recent cabinet reshuffle. Tegbe, an engineer and public policy expert, has pledged to bring technical expertise and transparency to the role.
The minister-designate added that he remained open to constructive engagement with the media and stakeholders, reiterating his commitment to measurable progress in addressing Nigeria’s long-standing power challenges.