By Adesakin Adefemi
The Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rasidi Ladoja, has ordered an immediate halt to the planned demolition of about 200 houses at Isokan Estate Extension in the Alao Akala, Elebu area of Ibadan.
The directive was issued Tuesday after a series of meetings between the monarch and affected landlords and landladies. It was contained in a statement signed by his media aide, Adeola Oloko, and released to the public Wednesday morning.
The traditional ruler intervened after residents approached him for help over fears of losing their homes. They said a man identified as Mogaji Olopade Taofeek Abiola, also known as Mogaji Oloyin, claimed to have a court judgment from an Ibadan High Court granting him ownership of the land.
Ladoja, a former governor of Oyo State, said no house should be demolished in the area pending further clarification on the matter. He directed landlords whose rooftops had been removed to fix them back immediately.
The Olubadan also warned land grabbers to stay away from the community. He said the pause on demolition would allow for proper verification of land ownership and prevent further disputes.
“By so doing, we would be able to know who is trespassing on whose land, and what next line of action to take,” the monarch stated in the release.
The intervention has brought relief to residents who had feared losing their homes and investments. Many had earlier reported anxiety over the looming demolition exercise.
The case highlights ongoing tensions over land ownership in parts of Ibadan, where multiple claims and court judgments often pit individuals against communities. The Olubadan’s office said it would continue to engage stakeholders to ensure a peaceful resolution.
For now, the status quo remains in Isokan Estate Extension, with the traditional authority stepping in to prevent forced evictions and protect residents’ property.