By Adesakin Adefemi
The management of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, LAUTECH, has assured students and staff that the campus remains safe following last Friday’s attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area.
In a statement issued Tuesday, the university registrar, Olayinka Balogun, said the institution was aware that the abduction of schoolchildren and teachers had sparked anxiety and security concerns within the university community.
LAUTECH dismissed reports of an impending attack on the campus, maintaining that academic activities were continuing without disruption. The management said additional security personnel had been deployed and security agencies were actively monitoring the situation.
“LAUTECH wishes to address concerns arising from recent events in Orire Local Government Area. We are aware that reports of those events have caused anxiety and fuelled rumours on security matters,” the statement read.
“The management assures all members of the LAUTECH community that there is no cause for alarm. The university remains safe, and academic activities continue without disruption as security agencies are actively monitoring the situation.”
The university urged students and staff to remain calm, avoid spreading unverified information, and go about their normal academic and social activities. It promised to provide timely updates should any new developments arise.
Gunmen had attacked Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Esiele; and L.A. Primary School in Ogbomoso on Friday. The Oyo State Police Command said two people were killed during the assault.
At least 45 schoolchildren, a principal and teachers were reportedly kidnapped in the incident. Videos showing the abducted principal and a teacher surfaced online on Sunday, with the victims appealing to the federal and state governments for rescue.
A clip allegedly showing the killing of one of the victims also circulated on social media, sparking public outrage. President Bola Tinubu condemned the killing as “baric” and said security operatives were working around the clock to rescue the victims and arrest the bandits.