By Adesakin Adefemi
The Ogun State Government says all persons admitted to the State Hospital, Ijebu-Ode, following a recent chemical inhalation incident in schools within the town have been discharged after being certified fit by health personnel The update was given on Saturday by the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Tomi Coker.
Speaking during an engagement with parents, guardians, and residents at Our Lady of Apostles Secondary School, Coker confirmed that both adults and children affected by the methane emission had recovered fully. She said no patient recorded severe symptoms in the last 24 hours.
The commissioner explained that while methane is non-toxic, it competes with oxygen needed by the body and brain, which makes exposure concerning. She noted that moderate exposure can cause fatigue, rapid heartbeat, and breathing difficulties, while severe cases could lead to convulsion or unconsciousness.
To strengthen emergency response, the state government will deploy ambulance crews to all wards in Ijebu-Ode. Each ambulance will be staffed with a driver and a paramedic to ensure swift action when incidents occur.
Coker also disclosed that a medical response protocol has been established. Any patient taken to secondary health facilities who requires advanced care will be immediately transferred to Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital for further treatment.
The government has also deployed district surveillance nurses, nursing officers, and rapid response personnel to the community. The Ministry of Health has informed the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control about the incident and is working with environmental health officials to monitor the situation.
Commissioner for Environment Ola Oresanya said gas analysers have been installed around affected schools to monitor air quality. The government plans to expand coverage across schools in Ijebu-Ode, with experts from Olabisi Onabanjo University assisting in interpreting the data.
The Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Abayomi Arigbabu, appealed to principals and teachers to help calm students and manage the situation properly. He urged parents and residents to avoid spreading false information that could cause panic.
Commissioner of Police Bode Ojajuni said the command, alongside the School Protection Squad, Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit, and other specialized departments, had been deployed to secure schools and surrounding communities. Drones are also being used to survey and monitor the affected environment to ensure safety.