By Adesakin Adefemi
Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during a recent attack on schools in the Oriire area of the state, while the exact number of missing pupils is still being determined.
The governor made the disclosure on Sunday while briefing journalists on the security situation.
Makinde said the update followed a meeting with service commanders and heads of security agencies to review the incident. He revealed that an Islamic Studies teacher was killed during the attack, and that security agencies had already arrested six suspects within the community and three other persons of interest.
According to the governor, the attackers are believed to be members of armed groups fleeing intensified military operations against terrorists and bandits in the North-West. He warned that displacement from conflict zones could push criminal elements southward into areas with weaker security presence.
“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” Makinde said. He added that he had been engaging with authorities in other states to coordinate responses to the growing threat.
Preliminary intelligence suggests that some of those arrested may have acted as informants for the attackers within the affected communities. “Some of them we believe are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” the governor stated.
Makinde said the state government would not rely solely on military action to address the crisis. Consultations are ongoing with religious and community leaders, including officials of the Baptist Convention, since one of the affected schools is owned by the church.
“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic approach. We are engaging leaders, elders and religious leaders, especially at the Baptist Convention,” he said. The governor appealed to residents to remain calm and assured families that efforts were underway to secure the safe return of the abducted victims.
Describing the situation as “very difficult and challenging,” Makinde announced that the state would begin daily press briefings to keep residents updated on rescue operations and security efforts. He pledged that the government would use all available resources to resolve the crisis quickly.
“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” the governor assured.