By Adesakin Adefemi
Ghana’s President John Mahama has approved the immediate evacuation of 300 Ghanaian nationals from South Africa following a new wave of xenophobic attacks.
The directive was announced on Tuesday by Ghana’s Minister for Foreign Affairs, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, in a statement posted on his official X account.
According to Ablakwa, the affected citizens had already complied with an earlier advisory from the Foreign Ministry and registered with the Ghana High Commission in Pretoria for evacuation assistance.
The government moved quickly after reports of harassment and assaults targeting foreign-owned businesses surfaced in KwaZulu-Natal and Durban.
“His Excellency John Mahama has granted presidential approval for the immediate evacuation of 300 Ghanaians in South Africa,” Ablakwa wrote. “These distressed Ghanaians had earlier complied with the Foreign Ministry’s advisory and registered with our High Commission in Pretoria to be rescued following the latest wave of xenophobic attacks.”
The minister said the government remains committed to protecting Ghanaians both at home and abroad. He assured that arrangements were being finalized to ensure the safe return of the registered nationals.
The evacuation comes as tensions rise in parts of South Africa over attacks on foreign-owned shops and businesses. KwaZulu-Natal and Durban have been identified as some of the worst-hit areas in the latest incidents.
Ghana is not the only country responding. Nigeria has also initiated a voluntary repatriation program for its citizens in South Africa. Nigeria’s Foreign Minister, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, confirmed that over 130 Nigerians have registered with Nigerian missions for assistance to return home, with more expected to come forward.
President Bola Tinubu has directed the establishment of crisis notification centres to support distressed Nigerians in South Africa. The centres are intended to provide real-time assistance and coordinate evacuation efforts where necessary.
Other African governments have similarly taken steps to safeguard their citizens. The coordinated response highlights growing concern across the continent over the recurrence of xenophobic violence in South Africa and its impact on regional integration.
Ghanaian officials said the evacuation would proceed without delay, with priority given to those in immediate danger. The government urged its nationals in South Africa to remain in contact with the High Commission in Pretoria for updates and further instructions.