By Adesakin Adefemi
An FCT High Court in Abuja has issued a bench warrant for the arrest of former Minister of Power Saleh Mamman after he failed to appear for trial on Monday. Justice Maryann Anineh also revoked the bail previously granted to the ex-minister.
Mamman is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission alongside seven others on a nine-count charge of conspiracy, obtaining by false pretence, and intent to defraud to the tune of N31 billion. He faces separate charges at the Federal High Court in Abuja.
The court’s action followed submissions by EFCC counsel Rotimi Oyedepo, who told the court that Mamman was absent and his lawyer gave no reason for the absence. Oyedepo said the same situation occurred during Mamman’s conviction at the Federal High Court last week.
Mamman’s counsel, Femi Atteh, argued that it was the prosecutor’s duty to produce the defendant since a bench warrant had already been issued by the Federal High Court. He said the EFCC should ensure his appearance.
Oyedepo countered that it was not his responsibility to account for the defendant’s whereabouts. He urged the court to revoke Mamman’s bail and issue a bench warrant, citing Section 352(4) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015.
“My lord, I do not hold the brief of the first defendant, so it is not my duty to inform the court of the whereabouts of his client,” Oyedepo said. He added that the defendant appeared to be in hiding despite the existing warrant.
In her ruling, Justice Anineh revoked Mamman’s bail and ordered his arrest to secure his presence at the next hearing. She also ruled that the trial would proceed in his absence under Section 352 of the ACJA.
The matter was adjourned to May 14 for continuation of trial. The court said proceedings would move forward regardless of the defendant’s absence.
Mamman served as Minister of Power from August 2019 to September 2021 under former President Muhammadu Buhari. He was convicted on May 7 on all 12 counts in a separate money laundering case involving N33.8 billion linked to the Zungeru and Mambilla hydroelectric projects, with sentencing set for May 13.