By Adesakin Adefemi
The Oyo State Police Command says it has arrested two suspects in connection with the abduction of two staff members of the Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria, CRIN, in Idi-Ayunre, while warning against the spread of false reports of mass kidnappings in Ibadan.
Command spokesperson DSP Olayinka Ayanlade said Shehu and Abubakar were apprehended during bush-combing operations on May 20, 2026, at about 8:10 a.m. The arrests followed the abduction of the CRIN workers on May 19 at about 6 p.m. by six armed men who invaded the institute’s premises and took the victims to an unknown location.
According to Ayanlade, a distress report was received at the Idi-Ayunre Divisional Police Headquarters from CRIN’s chief security officer shortly after the incident. Police operatives immediately visited the scene and launched an on-the-spot assessment, confirming the attack and abduction.
The command said intensive bush-combing and coordinated search operations began immediately across surrounding forested areas linked to the crime. State Commissioner of Police Olugbemiga Abimbola directed the deployment of tactical and intelligence assets, including operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Squad, to secure the release of the victims and arrest the perpetrators.
It was during one of these operations that police encountered the two suspects. Upon preliminary interrogation, they agreed to lead officers to their accomplices’ hideout. However, the team came under gunfire from armed men believed to be part of the kidnapping syndicate while approaching the location.
The operatives responded professionally, repelled the attack, and successfully extracted the two suspects, who are now in the custody of the Anti-Kidnapping Squad for further investigation and intelligence exploitation. Ayanlade said the operations were ongoing and yielding actionable leads.
The police also raised concern over the circulation of false reports alleging another mass abduction in the Abanla community and other parts of Ibadan. The command stated categorically that no such incident had been reported anywhere in Ibadan metropolis or its environs apart from the CRIN case.
Ayanlade described the dissemination of unverified and sensational reports as irresponsible, saying it creates unnecessary fear and panic while diverting resources from genuine security concerns. He urged media organisations, bloggers, and social media influencers to verify security-related information through official channels before publication.
The command reassured residents that robust security measures have been placed across the affected axis and other strategic locations to deny criminals any foothold. It called on the public to remain calm, vigilant, and law-abiding, and to provide timely, credible information to aid ongoing operations.