By Adesakin Adefemi
The family of Michael Oyedokun, the schoolteacher abducted and later killed by terrorists in Oriire Local Government Area, has described his death as a devastating and irreplaceable loss, lamenting that he died childless after more than a decade of marriage.
Oyedokun was seized alongside several colleagues from Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, during a coordinated raid on Friday. The attackers also targeted Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, and LA Primary School in Ogbomoso, killing assistant headmaster Joel Adesiyan and a commercial motorcyclist in the process.
Following the attacks, the Oyo State Government ordered the closure of schools in four local government areas while security agencies intensified rescue operations. A disturbing video later surfaced online allegedly released by the terrorists, showing Oyedokun tied up and forced to speak before he was killed, sparking outrage over the safety of other captives still held.
Speaking during a visit by SaharaReporters to the deceased’s hometown, family member Ebeni Adediran described Oyedokun as a peaceful and humble man who dedicated over two decades to teaching. He said the late teacher was calm, did not like violence, and was deeply attached to his family and community.
Adediran recalled that Oyedokun attended Ogbomoso Baptist High School before furthering his education and working as a teacher for about 21 years. He first served in Oke Ogun before being transferred back home last year, where he regularly visited his aged parents every weekend or at least once within 15 days.
The family said his death has created a huge vacuum because of his character and close relationship with relatives. “He was a good man in our family and this is why his death is a big loss to us, an irreplaceable loss. His death is painful. We can’t even describe his death,” Adediran said.
The most heartbreaking aspect, according to the family, is that Oyedokun left no child behind despite being married for over 10 years. “They had been married for more than 10 years and despite all their efforts, no child came out of the marriage. And now the same man has died and there is no child to continue his lineage,” Adediran stated.
In a statement, the family appealed to Nigerians to stop circulating the graphic videos and images of the murdered teacher. They said the repeated sharing of the disturbing footage was worsening their trauma during an already painful period and urged the public to respect their grief.
“We truly appreciate the love, concern, and sympathy shown towards our family during this painful time,” the statement read. “However, the continuous circulation of those videos and images is deeply traumatizing for us as a family.
His loved ones and all of us, his nieces, nephews, cousins and relatives, have been emotionally devastated, especially as these contents keep appearing on social media.”